Mumbai, July 31, 2025 — In a landmark judgment that brings an end to one of India’s most controversial and politically sensitive terror cases, a special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court in Mumbai on Thursday acquitted all seven accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case. Among those acquitted were Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Pragya Singh Thakur and former Indian Army officer Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Shrikant Purohit.
The court observed that the prosecution failed to provide “conclusive and corroborated evidence” linking the accused to the blast that killed six people and injured over a hundred in Malegaon, a communally sensitive town in Maharashtra’s Nashik district.
Background of the Malegaon Blast Case
The Malegaon blast occurred on the evening of September 29, 2008. A low-intensity explosion ripped through a crowded area near Bhikku Chowk in Malegaon, killing six and leaving 101 injured. Initially suspected to be the work of Islamist terror outfits, the probe took a dramatic turn when the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) of Maharashtra arrested a group of alleged right-wing activists in connection with the case, leading to what would later be known as India’s first major “Hindutva terror” case.
The ATS, under the leadership of then-chief Hemant Karkare, named Pragya Thakur and Lt. Col. Purohit as key conspirators, alleging that they were part of a larger plot to create a “Hindu Rashtra” through acts of terrorism. Both were arrested in 2008 and spent several years in jail before being granted bail. The case was transferred to the NIA in 2011.
The Verdict for Malegaon Blast Case
Delivering the much-awaited verdict, Special Judge A.K. Lahoti stated that “there is no legally admissible evidence to link any of the accused to the crime beyond reasonable doubt.” The court underlined procedural lapses in the investigation, inconsistencies in witness testimonies, and lack of scientific evidence as key reasons for the acquittals.
“In criminal jurisprudence, the burden of proof lies on the prosecution. In this case, that burden was not discharged in a manner expected of an investigative agency like the NIA,” the court said in its 700-page judgment.
Key Acquitted Accused
- Pragya Singh Thakur: A sitting BJP Member of Parliament from Bhopal, Thakur has always maintained that she was falsely implicated due to political vendetta. She was accused of providing the motorcycle that was used in the blast.
- Lt. Col. Prasad Purohit: Accused of supplying explosives and being a part of the alleged terror group ‘Abhinav Bharat’. He spent over nine years in jail before being granted bail by the Supreme Court in 2017.
- Ramesh Upadhyay, Sudhakar Dwivedi, Major (Retd) Ramesh Gadkari, Sameer Kulkarni, and Ajay Rahirkar were also acquitted due to lack of admissible evidence.
Political and Legal Reactions on Malegaon Blast Case
Reacting to the verdict, Pragya Thakur, speaking to the media outside the courtroom, said, “Satyamev Jayate (Truth Alone Triumphs). I have suffered 17 years of injustice. This is a victory not just for me but for all those who were falsely implicated due to a biased narrative.”
Lt. Col. Purohit also welcomed the verdict, stating, “The truth has finally prevailed. This is not just my victory but a vindication for the Indian Army and its officers who serve with integrity.”
The NIA, meanwhile, is expected to review the judgment and consider whether to file an appeal. Sources in the agency said they would take a call after a detailed examination of the court’s findings.
Congress leader Jairam Ramesh criticized the verdict and demanded a “re-investigation by an independent agency,” alleging that the case had been “compromised under political pressure.”
In contrast, BJP spokesperson Sudhanshu Trivedi said the verdict is a “slap on the face of those who coined the term ‘saffron terror’ to malign an entire religion and nationalist ideology.”
Timeline of the Case
- 2008: Blast kills 6 people in Malegaon on September 29.
- 2008-2010: ATS arrests right-wing activists including Pragya and Purohit.
- 2011: Case handed over to NIA.
- 2017: Pragya and Purohit granted bail.
- 2018-2023: Trial progresses with key witnesses turning hostile.
- 2025: All accused acquitted by Special NIA Court on July 31.
Implications and the Road Ahead
The Malegaon blast case had long become a political flashpoint in India’s polarised discourse on terrorism, nationalism, and religious identity. The acquittals are likely to embolden the BJP and its ideological allies, who have long argued that the case was part of a conspiracy to target Hindu activists.
Legal experts suggest the verdict could set a precedent in the scrutiny of investigative processes in terror-related cases, especially those with alleged political undertones.
As of now, the NIA is left with a major setback, and the central government may come under pressure to clarify its stance. Human rights groups have also raised concerns over the long incarceration of the accused without trial, highlighting issues with the Indian justice system’s ability to handle terror cases swiftly and fairly.
The Malegaon verdict may be the end of a legal battle, but its political and social reverberations are bound to continue for years to come.